The nickel SKM 185 NI Stereo Matched Microphone Pair from Neumann is a kit containing a stereo matched pair of the KM 185 microphones, a hypercardioid pattern, pressure gradient condenser microphone intended for live sound reinforcement and broadcast as well as recording applications. The KM 180 series microphones feature an output stage based on the KM 100. Transformerless circuitry and balanced output result in high output gain with a very low noise floor and no coloration to the output signal. The KM 185 is powered via +48V phantom power.
The stereo pair is matched in sensitivity and frequency response and provides optimum results when capturing performances or ambiance. Its 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency response provides flexibility for use in a wide range of recording situations. The KM 185 provides attenuation at the off-axis sections of the mic, and is suitable for X,Y and ORTF stereo miking, announcer’s mic for broadcast, spot capturing of drum overheads, strings, wind instruments, percussion, piano, and amp cabinets. The KM 185 handles sound pressure levels up to 142 dB, allowing close miking of instruments high in transient (peak) level response.
- Hypercardioid Polar Pattern
- The KM 185’s hypercardioid polar pattern offers greater attenuation at the off-axis sections of the microphone, resulting in a tighter pattern with even less noise caused by ambiance.
- KM 100 Based Output Stage
- The KM 185 features the same output stage electronics as the KM 100. Transformerless circuitry and quiet balanced output design ensure a clean, high-gain output signal without any coloration. The KM 185 is powered via +48V phantom power, and its 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency response provides flexibility for use in a wide range of recording situations. The KM 185 can handle sound pressure levels up to 142 dB, allowing fairly close miking of instruments.
- Compact Rugged Construction
- The slim design and rugged construction allow easy microphone placement while remaining road worthy.